The History of CNC Development

The History of CNC Development

The CNC is call for computer numerical control and it is refer to a computer “controller” which specifically drives a machine tool and reads G-code instructions, typically a powered mechanical device used to fabricate components by the selective removal of material. CNC does numerically directed a cutting tool interpolation in the work envelope of a machine. The CNC operating parameters can be altered via software load program.

CNC was preceded by Numerically Controlled (NC) machines, which were hard wired and their operating parameters could not be changed. NC was developed in the late 1940s and early 1950s by John T. Parsons collaboration with the MIT Servomechanisms Laboratory. The first CNC systems used hardware of NC style, and the computer was used for the tool compensation calculations and sometimes for editing.

Punched tape was continued to be used as a medium for transferring G-codes into the controller for many decades after 1950, until it was eventually superseded by floppy disks, RS232 cables, and now is commonly tied directly into plant networks. The G-codes files to be interpreted by the controller are usually saved under the .NC extension. Most shops have their own saving format that matches their requirements of ISO certification.

The CNC machines introduction radically changed the manufacturing industry. Curves are as easy to cut as straight lines, complex 3-D structures are relatively easy to produce, and the number of machining steps that required human action has been reduced dramatically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...